- Building Department
- Soils and Residential Foundation Study
- Zombie and Vacant Property Remediation and Prevention Initiative
- Engineering Department
- Joint Consolidation Agreements for Sewer Districts and Stormwater Districts
- Dellwood-Sattler Green Infrastructure and Park Improvements
- Sidewalk Information
- Other Agencies - NFTA
- Planning Department
- Amherst Central Park (Audubon Alienation)
- Amherst Comprehensive Plan
- Canandaigua-Niagara Falls ('Peanut Line')
- Context-Sensitive Highway Design Project
- Eggertsville Action Plan
- Local Waterfront Revitalization Program (LWRP)
- Opportunity Zone / General Environmental Impact Statement (GEIS)
- Imagine Amherst
- Proposed Westwood Neighborhood Project
- Snyder Action Plan
- Transit Road Corridor Management Study
Sidewalk Installation Requests
Sidewalks are an important component of the Town’s pedestrian transportation system and a significant feature contributing to a higher quality of life in the community. Sidewalks improve streets by providing for safer movement for pedestrians and vehicles. The Town seeks to maintain and expand its sidewalk system; a Policy of the Town of Amherst Bicentennial Comprehensive Plan is to:
“Develop a comprehensive pedestrian network of sidewalks, crosswalks and trails.”
The Plan further states that:
“Improvements to Amherst’s pedestrian network should focus on eliminating discontinuous sidewalks and on providing linkages to schools and other major pedestrian destinations.”
The Town improves the pedestrian network through a variety of activities that range from publically funded initiatives and programs to requests for sidewalk installation on public and/or private properties.
The Town participates in several programs to improve and expand its sidewalk network; these programs focus on areas surrounding schools and other public facilities, inquiries about these programs should be directed to the Town Engineering Department.
The Town also considers requests for sidewalk installation from residents and private property owners to be installed on public or private lands. Sidewalk installation requests can be made by anyone with standing or an interest (residents or business owners) in the area under consideration; installation of sidewalks also requires broad support by involved and neighboring property owners as the expenses associated with installing sidewalks may be borne in-full or in-part by property owners adjacent to the sidewalk.
Per Local Law 14-2010 adopted 9/7/10, portions of the following roads do not require sidewalks:
- Campbell Boulevard
- Hopkins Road
- Millersport Highway
- New Road
- North Ellicott Creek Road
- Schoelles Road (entire road)
- South Ellicott Creek Road
- Sweet Home Road
- Tonawanda Creek Road
- Youngs Road
Please refer to the following Local Law to determine which specific road segments are included.
More information about making a request is provided in the documents below and on the application form.
For additional information please contact the Town of Amherst Engineering Department at (716) 631-7054.
Forms, policies, and procedures for requests for sidewalk installation
- Sidewalk Installation Request Considerations
- Request for Sidewalk Installation frequently asked questions
- Request for Sidewalk Installation Review Process
- Amherst Bicentennial Comprehensive Plan – Future Thoroughfare System (please refer to Figure 9)
- Request for Sidewalk Installation Application form
- Local Law 20-2009: A Local Law with Respect To Sidewalk Installations