- Building Department
- Soils and Residential Foundation Study
- Zombie and Vacant Property Remediation and Prevention Initiative
- Engineering Department
- Other Agencies - NFTA
- Planning Department
- Amherst Central Park (Audubon Alienation)
- Amherst Comprehensive Plan
- Canandaigua-Niagara Falls ('Peanut Line')
- Context-Sensitive Highway Design Project
- Eggertsville Action Plan
- Local Waterfront Revitalization Program (LWRP)
- Opportunity Zone / General Environmental Impact Statement (GEIS)
- Imagine Amherst
- Proposed Westwood Neighborhood Project
- Snyder Action Plan
- Transit Road Corridor Management Study
Sidewalk Snow Relief Program
The Town of Amherst provides snow relief service along sidewalks located within the zones depicted in the maps below during the winter season. The service season begins on December 1st and will conclude on the following March 31st. Properties within the Sidewalk Snow Relief District are charged for this service, the charge is based upon the linear feet of street frontage located within the District.
Property owners or occupants within the Sidewalk Snow Relief Districts are encouraged to provide comments about this service to the Highway Department at (716) 631-7117 during the winter season. Comments may also be made by telephone to the Supervisor's Office at (716) 631-7032.
Sidewalk Snow Relief Services
During winter months, sidewalks along affected properties can be plagued with excessive amounts of snow and ice resulting from highway road plowing. These walks are often located close to the highway with limited snow storage within the highway right-of-way making it difficult for property owners to clear sidewalks and keep them safe for use by pedestrians in accordance with the Town Code. The Sidewalk Snow Relief Program provides a means for the Town to assist property owners in clearing their walks and recover some of the costs associated with the service.
The following is a summary of sidewalk snow relief services.
- Snow relief service will be performed on sidewalks along front, side, and rear yards located within the service zones as depicted on the maps below.
- The Town Highway Department may place guide stakes along sidewalks in the public right-of-way to assist operator crews.
- Highway Department personnel will plow or snow blow sidewalks in the designated District areas following a snowfall event. The Highway Department will determine when to deploy sidewalk crews after snowfall ends and street plowing along the corridor has been completed. Town sidewalk crews may be deployed to clear walks on any day during the hours of 7:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Snow relief services may not remove all snow and ice; up to ¾ inch of residual snow and ice could remain after clearing.
- The provision of these services is intended to assist with snow clearing, it does not exempt any property owner within the Special District from the responsibilities of maintaining their sidewalk in proper condition of repair or free from snow and ice in accordance with the Town Code.
- Services are reviewed on an annual basis.
Sidewalk Snow Relief District Service Zone Maps
- Zone 1 – Niagara Falls Boulevard
- Zone 2 – Maple Road
- Zone 3 – Sheridan Drive (lots with rear property boundaries along Sheridan Drive from Fenwick Drive to Ellicott Creek, and 1 & 6 Hunters Lane with rear property along Sheridan Drive)
- Zone 4 – Main Street (lots with rear property boundaries along Main Street from Longleat Pkwy. to Eltham Drive)
- Zone 5 – Millersport Highway (lots with rear property boundaries along Millersport Highway located along Rosemont Drive, and 254 Hartford)
- Zone 6 – Sovereign Court (66 & 74 Sovereign Ct., lots with rear property lines along Heim Road)
- Zone 7 – Thamesford Court/Lane (lots with rear property boundaries along Sheridan Drive)
- Zone 8 – Sheridan Drive (Sheridan Drive frontage for 420 & 425 Brompton Road)
- Zone 9 – Wehrle Drive (Frontage for 1701, 1709, & 1719 Wehrle Drive)
- Zone 10 – Sheridan Drive at Campus Drive and Campus North (residential lots along the south side of Sheridan Drive)
- Zone 11 – North Forest Road (East side from Tee Court north to Sheridan Drive and West side from Wiltshire Road to Sheridan Drive)
- Zone 12 – Sheridan Drive (Frontage from 5256 to 5314 Sheridan Drive)
- Zone 13 – Millersport Highway (rear property boundary of 420 Ivyhurst Road North along Millersport Highway)