Responsible for investigations relating to the possession and sale of illicit drugs. It is staffed by a Detective Lieutenant, Detective Sergeant and four Detectives. In addition, vice and gambling cases are also investigated by the Narcotics Unit. The Narcotics Bureau can be reached at 716.689.1392.
The Narcotics Unit has its own strictly confidential Tip Line. We encourage you to participate in our efforts against illegal drugs. Use this number to report (anonymously) any drug activity that you know of, or suspect.
Narcotics Tip Line
Confidential Tip Line (General)
Are We Tough Enough On Drugs?
Too many non-violent first time minor drug offenders are in prison.
The most comprehensive study ever of U.S. prisoners by the U.S. Department of Justice found the following:
- 93.5% of state prisoners were either violent or repeat offenders, two thirds are currently in prison for a violent crime (violent crime makes up only 9% of all crime).
- Only 1.3% of state drug prisoners are not repeat or violent offenders of the 6.5% in this category.
- Only .6% of state prisoners were in prison for marijuana possession (with unknown quality) and only 2% were in for marijuana trafficking.
- In federal prison the average amount of marijuana a trafficker was involved with was 3.5 tons and cocaine traffickers average 183 pounds of cocaine.
- Only 1.3% of federal prisoners are in prison for drug possession charges (average pot possession is 105 pounds).
- A large number of federal prisoners are aliens and their prior criminal record may not reflect their entire criminal history.
Help Keep Amherst Drug Free!