Property Maintenance and Rodent Control complaints please call (716) 631.7097.
The primary purpose of the Building Department is to ensure building safety through the enforcement of municipal, state and federal regulations and codes. All plans for development are first reviewed by the department for adherence to regulatory statutes. Upon approval of proposed plans, permits are issued that allow for the construction and alteration of structures. Throughout the building process, field inspectors visit active work sites reviewing work and approving various stages of construction. Final inspections signal the end of the review process with new or renovated buildings receiving a formal certificate of occupancy, which allows the structure to become occupied.
The primary divisions of the Building Department are:
- Building Code Enforcement
- Plumbing Code Enforcement
- Electrical Code Enforcement
- Fire Safety Code Enforcement
- Property Maintenance Code Enforcement
- Building Maintenance of Town Owned Facilities
Additionally, the department assists residents and developers with understanding ordinances and regulations that affect construction in Amherst. The following is a list of informational services that are also provided:
- Understanding the Town Zoning Ordinance Evaluating and Assisting Requests for Property Re-zoning Review applications for the Zoning Board of Appeals
- Handling Complaints About Zoning, Building, Property Maintenance or other Local Laws
- Making Special Flood Hazard (SFHA) Determinations
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) National Flood Insurance Program
- Investigating Fire Scenes
- Juvenile Fire Setter Program