Effective with May 1st of 2016, a new law was passed as it relates to how the Basic and Enhanced STAR exemptions are applied for and delivered to new property owners. If your property sale/transfer took place after the March 1st of 2015, you will be part of this new process.
In the past, you would register with the local Assessors office. The new process, is this will be registered with and handled by the New York State Department of Taxation and . The new process is recapped below:
- Property owners apply for the STAR Rebate with the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance. All applications will be sent to them. The local Assessor will not handle this .The STAR exemption will now be in the form of a Rebate Check to the property owner.
- New York State has a web based application to do this OR you can call in and register. The web application is at www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star/register-for-star-credit.htm. The customer call in line is 518-457-2036. Representatives of the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance can assist you in the process.
The information below applies to property owners who had the STAR exemption prior to March 1st of 2015, as this will still be handled by the Town Assessor's Office.
Enhanced STAR (age 65 + with 2015 income under $86,000)
- Ownership of 1, 2 or 3 family home or condominium by March 1, 2017
- Primary Residence
Income Under $86,000 (Federal Adjusted Gross minus IRA Distributions) for
ALL OWNERS and THEIR SPOUSES, proof must be submitted
- 2015 State and Federal signed tax returns with all schedules attached
- 2015 Social Security Statement (1099) OR
- 2015 Railroad Retirement Statements (1099 and 1099R forms)
- 65 years of as of December 31, 2017- Proof must be submitted (Driver's License)
- Application RP-425 completed, signed and returned before March 1, 2017
**lf you qualify for Enhanced STAR you may choose to sign up for the Optional Income Verification Program. The NYS Dept. of Taxation and Finance will then verify your income each year. Please contact us for an application and for more information regarding this option.
**Enhanced STAR must be RENEWED every year**
Low Income Senior Exemption
As a senior citizen, you may be entitled to an additional tax exemption. For this exemption, your gross income for 2015 must be under $32,400. You may call our office for further information.
For your convenience you may apply for STAR by mail
Mail completed application and appropriate proofs to:
|Town of Amherst Assessor's Office
5583 Main Street
Williamsville, NY 14221
|When filing by mail;
if you wish a receipt, please
enclose a stamped,
|Deadline for the 2017 School Tax Bill is March 1, 2017