home page icon
boards & committees icon
budget & financial icon
 
 click for keyword list



     

spacer line

Photo Gallery

Alexander Hitchcock   |   Timothy S. Hopkins   |   Christian Eggert   |   
Timothy A. Hopkins   |   Adam Rinewalt   |   Village Hall

Photos courtesy of Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village.

Alexander Hitchcock served in the War of 1812 and was a member of the first Town Board of Amherst and the first Commissioner of Highways and Commissioner of Common Schools.

back to top

Timothy S. Hopkins served in the New York State Militia during the War of 1812 reaching the rank of Brigadier General. Hopkins was the first Town Supervisor and also acted as a Justice of the Peace.

back to top

Christian Eggert settled in Amherst in 1831 at the corner of Main and Eggert and opened a store at this location.  Eggert served as the first Postmaster for area using his store as the Post Office.  Eggertsville is named after Christian Eggert.

back to top

Timothy A. Hopkins was the son of Timothy S. Hopkins. Trained as a lawyer, Hopkins had an active political career. He served as Erie County Sheriff, a State Assemblyman, and as Town Supervisor.

back to top

Adam Rinewalt was the first publisher and founder of the Amherst Bee.  He served as Town Clerk, Collector of Taxes and Assessments, and President of the Village of Williamsville.

back to top

Village Hall - The land for Village Hall was donated by E. Howard Hutchinson in 1908.   The building was completed in 1909 and housed offices for both the Town of Amherst and the Village of Williamsville as well as serving as the house for the Hutchinson Hose Company and town library.  The building was razed in 1965 in order to make room for a new Town Hall and municipal complex.

back to top

 

 

 

 

 

 

Home     Feedback     Translate
Disclaimer and Copyright Notice

Copyright © 2015 Town of Amherst, New York. All Rights Reserved.