- Assessor's Office
- Attorney's Office
- Building Department
- Central Fire Alarm
- Comptroller's Office
- Contract Compliance & Administration
- Department of Information Technology
- Emergency Services & Safety
- Engineering Department
- Highway Department
- Human Resources
- Office of the Supervisor
- Planning Department
- Police Department
- Senior Services
- Town Clerk
- Town Court
- Youth and Recreation Department
Information for the 2019 School Bill
New STAR Procedure
Effective May 1, 2016, a new law was passed as it relates to how the Basic and Enhanced STAR exemptions are applied for and delivered to new property owners. If your property sale/transfer took place after the March 1, 2015, you will be part of this new process. In the past, you would register with the local Assessor's Office. The new process registration is handled by the New York State Department of Taxation.
Property owners apply for the STAR Rebate with the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance. All applications must be sent to the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance. The local Assessor will not handle this procedure. The STAR exemption will now be in the form of a Rebate Check to the property owner.
New York State has a web based application to do this or you can call in and register. Representatives of the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance can assist you in the process.
- The web application is at https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/property/star/default.htm.
- The customer call in line is (518) 457-2036.
Existing STAR Exemptions (prior to March 1, 2015)
The information below applies to property owners who had the STAR exemption prior to March 1st of 2015, as this will still be handled by the Town Assessor's Office.
Enhanced STAR (age 65 + with 2017 income under $86,300)
- Ownership of 1, 2 or 3 family home or condominium by March 1, 2019
- Primary Residence
Income Under $86,300 (Federal Adjusted Gross minus IRA Distributions) for all owners and their spouses; acceptable forms of proof:
- 2017 State and Federal signed tax returns with all schedules attached
- 2017 Social Security Statement (1099), or
- 2017 Railroad Retirement Statements (1099 and 1099R forms)
- 65 years of as of December 31, 2019; acceptable form of proof (driver's license)
- Application RP-425 completed, signed and returned before March 1, 2019
*If you qualify for Enhanced STAR you are now required by the state to sign up for the Income Verification Program. New York state will verify your income each year
Low Income Senior Exemption
As a senior citizen, you may be entitled to an additional tax exemption. For this exemption, your gross income for 2017 must be under $35,400.
You may call our office for further information. For your convenience you may apply by mail. Mail completed application and appropriate proofs to:
Town of Amherst Assessor's Office
5583 Main Street
Williamsville, NY 14221
When filing by mail; if you wish a receipt, please enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope.
Deadline for the 2018 School Tax Bill is March 1, 2019.