- Assessor's Office
- Attorney's Office
- Building Department
- Central Fire Alarm
- Comptroller's Office
- Contract Compliance & Administration
- Department of Information Technology
- Emergency Services & Safety
- Engineering Department
- Highway Department
- Human Resources
- Office of the Supervisor
- Planning Department
- Police Department
- Senior Services
- Town Clerk
- Town Court
- Youth and Recreation Department
All residents are required to recycle and adhere to the following rules to ensure that all waste material is picked up weekly:
- All garbage and recyclables shall be securely placed in appropriate Town issued garbage totes and or any additional containers to prevent material from falling out and being distributed throughout the neighborhood. Any additional container shall not exceed 40 gallon capacity or 60 pound weight limit. All cans must have two (2) manufactured handles.
- All trash, rubbish, and recyclable material shall be placed within five feet of the right-of-way by 7 am on the day of collection, but not before 12 noon the day before your scheduled collection. Empty containers must be removed on the day of collection, no exceptions.
- From April 1st to November 30th each year, all yard waste (grass, weeds, leaves, shrubs, and plant trimmings, limbs, and branches ) will be collected separately from garbage, trash, and lumber. During this period, yard waste material should be in garbage cans with the lids removed, bushel baskets with solid bottoms and two manufactured handles, or 2-ply paper yard waste bags sold at local grocery or home remodeling stores. These containers must not exceed 60 pounds when full. Yard waste in any type of plastic bag or debris bound with plastic or wire will not be picked up. Brush, limbs, and branches up to 6” in diameter shall not exceed four feet in length, even if placed in cans, or must be securely bundled with a biodegradable material (not to exceed 60 pounds per bundle).
- Fall Leaf-pickup and Spring Brush Clean-up will be done by the Amherst Highway Department. Check Track Us for updated pick-up announcements.
- Stumps, logs, and excessive amounts of tree trimmings will be picked up during Spring Brush Clean-up only (May). For weekly collection, railroad ties and treated wood ties must be cut into 2 foot lengths and will be disposed of with your regular garbage due to contaminants.
- Tires are no longer accepted at the Highway Dept. or at curbside pick up.
- All lumber must be cut into 4 foot lengths and secured in tied manageable bundles with or placed in containers not to exceed 60 pounds in weight with nails removed or bent over.
- Fences, plasterboard, drywall, paneling, plywood, and doors must be cut into 4’x4’ sections and neatly stacked. All other smaller pieces must be securely bundled, not to exceed 4 feet in length or 60 pounds per bundle.
- Corrugated cardboard (including large appliance boxes) must be free of foreign objects, including Styrofoam!
- All white goods & large metal items – ovens, washers, dryers, dishwashers etc, and miscellaneous metal items, basketball poles (Metal portion only), will be picked up by The Amherst Highway Dept. by appointment ONLY. Please call 631-7119 to schedule. Doors must be removed from refrigerators and freezers subsection 169-5.E-2 or Resident may face fines up to $250 and or Town court appearance(s).
- Small, manageable metal may also be taken to the Amherst Highway Dept., 1042 N. Forest Road. Call 631-7117 for instructions and hours. Metal items, including pipes, -should not exceed 8 feet in length. Gutters should be folded or cut and securely bundled, not to exceed 8 feet in length.
- Bulky Items, such as furniture, mattresses, and box springs can be placed at the curb with garbage. No more than eight (8) items can be placed out per week in addition to garbage tote(s) or property owner will be subject to a $250 move out/ clean out fee assessed by citation. For flooding, or other disasters, please call the Office of Refuse Control for additional pick up options at 631-7119 Monday through Friday, 7am to 3pm.
- Pianos and organs must be disassembled. Electronics from organs must be removed and treated as electronics (See #18).
- Carpets, carpet padding, pool liners, large pieces of plastic, and pool covers must be cut in 4 foot widths, rolled and tied, not to exceed 60 pounds.
- Any major construction project, including, but not limited to, renovations, roof repairs, or remodeling projects require the property owner to contact a private service for disposal of the material; this material will NOT be accepted curbside by the Town of Amherst.
- Professional tree removal shall include chipping and stump removal.
- Disposal of brick, stone, concrete, and propane tanks is the responsibility of the property owner. Residents may bring these items to the Highway Department at 1042 North Forest Road, call 631-7117 for instructions and hours.
- Electronics - Electronic devices are no longer accepted curbside; they must be taken to the Amherst Highway Dept. 1042 North Forest Road between the hours of 7 a.m. and 3:30 p.m. – 7 days a week. Cathode ray tube (CRT) televisions will NOT be accepted. If you need information regarding disposal of televisions please call 631-7117.
- Oil based paint, chemicals, flammable liquids, and any other household hazardous waste must not be placed out with your garbage. For more information call 858-6800.
- Latex paint must be solidified/ dried with sand or kitty litter and the lid must be removed.
NOTE: From December 1st to March 31st your yard waste material will be collected with your garbage.
The CJ Krantz Compost Facility is located at 560 Smith Road and is opened to Amherst Residents from April 1st to November 30th (except holidays). Phone: 741-3850 please Call for hours.
If you have any further questions or problems with your service, please call the Office of Refuse Control, at (716) 631-7119, weekdays 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM.