- Assessor's Office
- Attorney's Office
- Building Department
- Central Fire Alarm
- Comptroller's Office
- Contract Compliance & Administration
- Department of Information Technology
- Economic Development
- Emergency Services & Safety
- Engineering Department
- Finance Department
- Highway Department
- Human Resources
- Office of the Supervisor
- Planning Department
- Police Department
- Senior Services
- Town Clerk
- Town Court
- Youth and Recreation Department
Yard Waste Regulations
Our annual yard waste program was established to reduce the amount of material going into the waste stream, using up valuable landfill space, and costing you additional tax dollars for disposal.
If you follow the guidelines below you should have no problem with the disposal of your yard waste material.
- Yard waste such as grass clippings, weeds, leaves, branches, shrub trimmings, and tree trimmings.
- Each year from April 1st through November 30th your yard waste will be collected separately on your designated collection day and transported to a Compost Facility. ***Please note: From December 1st through March 31st your yard waste will be collected with your garbage.
- All yard waste must be placed within five feet of the curb, but not in the street. It must be separate from the garbage and trash as well as lumber. Material must be placed in containers with two manufactured handles, such as garbage cans or bushel baskets with the covers removed, or in PAPER yard waste bags. Containers must not exceed 60 pounds in weight or 40 gallon capacity.
Questions or problems with your service should be directed to the Office of Refuse Control weekdays between 7:00 AM - 3:30 PM at (716) 631-7119.
Yard waste placed in plastic bags will not be collected.
Branches and shrub trimmings up to six inches in diameter should be cut into easily handled lengths, no greater than four feet even if placed in cans or securely bundled with biodegradable material, not to exceed 60 pounds. If bundled, please use biodegradable material.
Large volume branches, logs, and stumps larger than six inches in diameter will be picked up by the Town Highway Department during Spring Clean-up only.
Yard waste must be free from foreign material to prevent contamination of compost product.
Town garbage tote is not to be used for any yard waste material of any kind.
- Residents are encouraged to try proper backyard composting (See The Town of Amherst Town Code 169-32 for official guidelines).
- Grass clippings should be left on the lawn to return beneficial nutrients to the soil and help the lawn resist drought.
- In addition to the weekly collection, residents may bring any yard waste material to any compost facility.